Sunday, March 30, 2008

spring has sprung.....

Though our weather continues to spring back and forth from spring (10C, spring rains and showers/sunny periods) to late winter (3C, some flurries and clouds) it feels like it is time to start planning the garden.


Our rating for the garden this last year was about a 7.....we had some good successes (tomatoes and cukes did super well) and some dismal failures (the carrots and zukes and our loss of two pumpkins to underwatering). I have lots of time to plan for next year and I really want to add flowers to the deck as well as the plants.



Inside, well I don't have a lot of plants. Part of this being because I don't remmeber to water them and part because of Nemesis. (yes, you remember him....black voracious kitty???) He will eat anything green he can manage to bite off....much to his stomach's chagrin. So I keep him alive by having few plants and those I do have around are mostly of the edble and non-toxic variety.





Here's one of my babies from the winter....




Yes, it is a rosemary plant and one I'm particularly proud of. If you're here, you've read the title of my blog and no, I'm not just being modest! I really do have a black thumb!! This plant started off as cuttings from a dear friend's rosemary plant. She told me how to root it in water and after the cuttings had lovely long roots on them, I planted them in a pot. They did dismally. I gave up this summer and put the pot out on the deck with the veggies. By the time September arrived, this plant was lush, green and gorgeous! I was thrilled and it has stayed that way all winter. I'm thinking of transplanting it to a large container we have outdoors and seeing if I can get it to really grow this summer. I certainly hope so....it would be quite a triumph!

The children and I got out the seed packets during my older DS's spring break and thought hard about what we want to grow this summer.

Definites....pumpkins, tomatoes, cucumbers and I'd love to do a few pots of climbing peas now that an uncle has shared his secret on making deck pots with climbing posts attached that look gorgeous.

Maybes...peppers, herbs, strawberries

No....zucchini (the black fly infestation we had put me off) and maybe any other kind of squash for now. They take soooo much watering and let's face it....this isn't the house where watering happens as consistently as it should.

We're also into plans for the back garden as we will have a new little person joining us at the very end of the summer and we want to sort it out while I am still more or less able!

I'll be back with our lists of flowers and garden plans soon. Happy (almost) Spring!

No comments: